The labour market and employment in Austria
- Total area: 83,858.28 km2
- Population 2017: 8,811,800
- Working population: 4,625,500
- Persons in gainful employment: 4,299,434
- Labour force participation rate of 15-64 year olds: 71.5 %
- Number of companies: 665.400 (including self-employed)
(Source: Statistics on Employment and Worksites (DE); Statistics Austria 2017)
The majority of those in gainful employment work in the Wholesale and Retail Trade sector (NACE G, approx. 15 %) or in Manufacturing (NACE C approx. 14%). Other relevant employment sectors include Human Health and Social Work Activities (NACE Q, approx. 9 %), Public Administration (NACE O, approx. 8 %) and Construction (NACE F, approx. 7%).
(Source: Labour Market Statistics, annual results 2017; Statistics Austria)
In production and services the largest number of worksites are in the following sectors:
- Wholesale and Retail Trade (NACE G)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities (NACE M)
- Human Health and Social Work Activities (NACE Q)
- Construction (NACE F)
- Other Service Activities (NACE S)
This includes not only employees, but also self-employed persons.
(Source: Statistics on Employment and worksites 2017 (DE); Statistics Austria)
Small and micro companies predominate in Austria. In 2017, 87% of companies in the field of production or services had less than ten employees and 98% of companies had less than 50 employees. Large companies with more than 250 staff only account for a tiny proportion of 0.4%.
(Source: Structural Business Statistics Survey 2017 (DE), production and services; Statistics Austria)
Letzte Änderung am: 02.04.2020