Detailed information on the Occupational Safety and Health Strategy
Structure and procedure
As regards content and structure, the Occupational Safety and Health Strategy has a broad basis (see Subject areas and cooperating institutions).
It assists the persons involved with the formation of networks and cooperations, exchange of know-how and information, as well as the targeted use of their strong points.
Such bundling ensures an effective and efficient implementation of the core elements and the targets of the Occupational Safety and Health Strategy, while at the same time optimising temporal and human resources.
The Occupational Safety and Health Advisory Board decides on the staffing of the "Occupational Safety and Health" Expert Committee and on proposals submitted by the Expert Committee or the working groups. This also applies to the evaluation phase.
The "Occupational Safety and Health Strategy" Expert Committee works on the basis of the applicable law. It prepares proposals for the Occupational Safety and Health Advisory Board. These are related to:
- Subject areas of the Occupational Safety and Health Strategy with individual projects
- Working group management and working groups
- Criteria for the evaluation and measurement of target achievement.
The five working groups develop proposals for individual projects in the subject areas:
- Project description with targets, procedures and indicators for the measurability of target achievement
- Ranking of projects by priority
- Identifying the institutions that mastermind and cooperate in projects.
Core elements, targets and implementation
Occupational Safety and Health Strategy: Core elements
- Improvement and adaptation of the legislation on occupational safety and health
- Proper application and enforcement of the regulations concerning occupational safety and health
- Integration of occupational safety and health into educational systems (schools, universities of applied sciences, universities)
- Quality improvement of the access to preventive services
- Support of small enterprises with the aid of intelligible information and practical guides.
Occupational Safety and Health Strategy: Targets
- EU-wide reduction of accidents at work by 25%
- Reduction of occupational and work-related diseases
- Appropriate equipment of the labour inspectorates
- Support through policies of public health and health promotion at work
- Defining and implementing national occupational safety and health strategies.
Occupational Safety and Health Strategy: Implementation
- Focus on demographic changes and new employment trends (self-employed, migrants etc.)
- Improving health supervision, rehabilitation and reintegration of employees
- Coherence of occupational safety and health, public health and employment policy
- Training and instruction in the occupational safety and health sector
- Dissemination of good practices
- Compilation and distribution of guides and simple tools
- Access to qualified prevention specialists
- Economic incentives in occupational safety and health
- Measurable targets for reducing accidents at work and occupational diseases, in particular in high-risk sectors
- Effective enforcement of occupational safety and health by the regulatory authorities.
- Evaluation of the implementation of the Occupational Safety and Health Strategy is carried out by means of progress review. Target achievement is verified by means of assessment, measurement or rating. The evaluation is based on standards, quantitative or qualitative indicators as well as statistical, structural or systematic data.
Further relevant information for the Occupational Safety and Health Strategy
- Information of the EU Agency about GEM, young persons, new risks, stress, high-risk areas such as construction sites, occupational safety and health management, occupational safety and health campaigns, good practice etc.: EU-FACTS
- Failure management – Reporting of near-accidents and unsafe conditions
- Instruction and advanced training – Demands on instructors and trainers in occupational safety and health: ENETOSH